[lug] Ubuntu Firefox v10.0.x Sluggishness & Fix (rantish)

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 03:42:55 MST 2012

Thanks for clarifying the location. I'm not noticing any performance
issues, but my machine is clearly overspecced. I'm disabling the
British an South African plugins right now (yes WTH???). I am
personally liking Ubuntu less and less, but there isn't any
alternative distribution with LTS so I'm stuck with it (if you are
thinking "RedHat", you are a system administration and you haven't
ever tried to install RedHat on a modern laptop and used that as your
ONLY machine, desktop replacement with docking stations, etc etc etc.
I have and it is not feasible at all for production)

For Chrome, I do use it sometimes, but I don't like it. Why? Chrome
thinks that the user is dumb, and forces him/her to do what it wants.
For example: you CANNOT open PDFs in an external PDF viewer, you must
open them in Chrome's embedded one. I spoke with a friend who worked
at Google on ChromeOS (btw he's just quit) and he said it's a security
"feature". Heck, you cannot even open text file: you have to save it,
then look for the file with the file manager and manually open it in
your text editor! According to that friend, it's a security issue too:
making it hard for users to "work" with remote content, they are
protected from malicious one. But for me, it's just irritating or
frustrating or time consuming (depending on the context).

Cheers,
Davide