[lug] password generating techniques

Scott Kruger kruger at txcorp.com
Wed Mar 21 09:22:28 MDT 2012

I use the textfile approach but use gpg for security:

encrypt:  gpg -c $file
and decrypt: gpg $file

A little shell script to bring it up in an editor and encrypt
when done would is:

#!/bin/sh
cd $SECUREDIR
gpg ${passwordfile}.gpg
if [ -f ${passwordfile} ]; then
         $EDITOR ${passwordfile}
         if gpg -c ${passwordfile}  > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
                 /bin/rm ${passwordfile}
         else
                 echo "Problem encrypting.  Try fixing by hand"
         fi
else
         echo "File not decrypted successfully"
fi

One can then use dropbox or a version control system to
move across platforms and feel pretty safe about it.

Scott