[lug] VSFTP stopped working recently

Richard Mandel richard at linuxsupportguys.com
Thu Nov 1 09:34:38 MDT 2012

I dug into the logs and could find nothing of interest, but did discover two
issues:
1) there was a second firewall active that I didn't even know was there. It
had no entry for the non-standard port I was trying to use for FTP. I
disabled this second firewall.
2) the first firewall works fine with the non-standard port I am using, or
at least I can get through to the VSFTP server.
3) But there seems to be an issue with VSFTPD and non-standard FTP ports and
PASV mode.
	a. Passive mode works fine when VSFTPD uses the default port
	b. When LISTEN_PORT is set to 301, in vsftpd.conf, for example, if
the router and firewall are properly set, I can get access to the server
using an FTP client, but it hangs on attempts to enter PASV mode. The server
uses its private address and PASV mode fails.
		Response:	227 Entering Passive Mode
(192,168,xxx,xxx,223,22).
		Status:	Server sent passive reply with unroutable address.
Using server address instead.
	c. Results are the same when I define PASV_ADDRESS=xx.xx.xx.xx (my
server's static ip address)

I think I am going to abandon this effort to use a non-standard FTP

Richard Mandel
Linux Support Guys

richard at linuxsupportguys.com
Phone, Mobile and SMS: +1-303-499-1525