[lug] Tell us how

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Thu Feb 14 12:30:05 MST 2013

On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 23:26 -0500, Stephen Kraus wrote:
> Doesn't have to actually get hacked, you can spoof email addresses.
> Has happened to me before.
>
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Dru Whitledge <druw at oneimage.com>
> wrote:
>         So, did Jason's email get hacked? If so -- as a geek -- I hope
>         he'll
>         tell us how. Dru

Yahoo is one of the email senders that should be relatively immune to
email spoofing. Assuming that email server admins are doing their job
properly.

Every real Yahoo email is signed with DomainKeys. Receiving email
servers should be checking the signatures. If it doesn't match up it
should go into spam quarantine automatically. From there a user can free
real email manually and tell the sender to send his email through the
correct server instead of using some other SMTP relay.

--
Knowledge Is Power
Power Corrupts