No subject

Tue Jun 4 12:17:20 MDT 2013

   The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs
   (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

This freedom assures the ability to port to new platforms.  When you license
(not buy) proprietary software you don't get this freedom.  People who are
accustomed to demanding this freedom are unlikely to be sympathetic to those
to feel that they can live without it until a new platform comes out, then
want a free bail out.

Proprietary software licensees made (either consciously or unconsciously) a
decision to use software that is extremely restrictive of their freedom.
That decision is what put them in the "no win situation."  I wish I believed
that the impending platform shift would make people more conscious of the
implications of this decision, and that more would make it consciously, but
history convinces me that this isn't the case.

Good luck.

-Peter