[lug] Mailing lists/forums for embedded?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Aug 13 21:47:38 MDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-13 at 21:57 +0000, stimits at comcast.net wrote:
> I have a lot of questions regarding embedded development under linux.
> Do any of the people here have a recommended mailing list or forum for
> asking questions on this topic? Especially hardware questions.

eLinux.org is a good starting place.  But it would be useful to pick a
target idea and find hardware that can take to towards that idea.  For
example, if you want to monitor something and send that data to your PC,
an Arduino might be sufficient. If you want a media server that runs on
12V travel trailer power (like I'm doing with PiBox and a Raspberry Pi)
then you might look at the Raspberry Pi.  If you want a radar mounted in
the nose of a UAV you might look at a PowerPC based custom board with
lots of flash and DRAM.

"Embedded" can mean lots of things, from very tiny to very big.  If you
want to play with little, relatively inexpensive devices you can look at
some of SparkFun.com's tutorials.  They have some projects that you
could play with to get started.  But these might be less software than
hardware.  If you're more interested in the software side it's hard to
beat the $25 for a Raspberry Pi, then trying to make it have a stripped
down OS/application stack aimed at a purpose-specific application.

Oh, and another good place to start is Adafruit.com.  Lots of good
ideas, projects and things there.

Finally, you can browse my BeagleBox an PiBox "research" pages on my
wiki.  They have a number of interesting links that might help, or at
least provide some motivation.
http://www.graphics-muse.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=RaspberryPi.Research
http://www.graphics-muse.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=BeagleBox.Research

--