[lug] UPS Recommendation

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Fri Aug 23 20:34:26 MDT 2013

Hi Folks.

Looks as if my aging APC BackUPS has gone bad. Battery is only a couple
years old, and I just had an almost non-noticeable power blink, which
resulted in my PC shutting off. Didn't even make my VCR go blinky.

So, I'm shopping. Just wondering whether there are brands to stay away
from. Looking at the CyberPower brand. AFAICT, there's no UPS daemon in
the Mint repos which supports the new ones, but they do supply a Linux
version of their PowerPanel software. I have nothing against going with
APC again, except that it seems I get more bang for the buck with
CyberPower.

TrippLite is an option too. They also supply Linux software.