[lug] linux laptop search

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Sep 18 15:52:17 MDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-18 at 14:55 -0600, David L. Willson wrote:
> If I was me in your position, I'd be shopping for something with Linux
> already on it. Late model Windows laptops almost always have some
> hardware issues with Linux, in my experience.

I have no problems with new hardware.  I'm an embedded developer.  I can
fiddle with drivers.  Usually I just have to find someone with the right
git tree to pull from.  With my last Acer the biggest problem was the
graphics chip, which as Intel (their git repos were not quite as
organized then as now).  I don't need 3D or anything like that.  It just
needs to run a desktop cleanly, preferably with external display
support, and compile like a hurricane.  And it needs to run X.  Not Mir.
Not Unity.  Not Waylon Jennings.  X (well, and XFce).  I really have
very simple requirements.

> Yeah, you'll pay a little more, but I know a school that needs a
> teacher, and would be happy to help you make up the difference, in
> exchange for a small favor. :-)

You're a cruel man, Mr. Willson, hitting me in my weak spot (my recently
emptied wallet).  I'll talk with you more about that privately.  I need
to get this burglary-recovery thing settled first.

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org