[lug] Why cron.allow and cron.deny?

Ralf Mattes rm at seid-online.de
Mon Jan 13 09:22:29 MST 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 09:26:13AM -0700, Chris Ernst wrote:
> On 01/13/2014 09:16 AM, Rob Nagler wrote:
> > I still don't get it.  What's the difference between cron and this?
> >
> > while true; do
> >     sleep 60
> >     do_something
> > done
> >
> > Or, for the more abusive:
> >
> > while true do
> >     sleep 60
> >     ssh some-target.com do_something
> > done
>
> Not much.  But the point is that there are many different mechanisms to
> prevent many different vectors of abuse.  No one mechanism can address
> them all.

>From an administrator's point of view there is a huge difference: Iff you need
to trace down a malicious process, the shell script run from a user is much
easier to catch (since it shows up in 'ps aux' with the user's ID). A well-written
malicious cron job (i.e. one that takes care not to produce any output and to always
return successful) is _much_ harder to catch.

 Cheers, Ralf Mattes