[lug] mac mini server as 24/7 house server?

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 09:04:25 MDT 2014

I use a mac mini as a build server at work, and it works fine. I've heard
that they can have problems with overheating if they aren't well
ventilated, but I've never seen that myself. There are some quirks to OSX
versus Linux, so if you're going to be keeping that and aren't familiar
with it there will be a bit of a learning curve. Mostly just the
differences between BSD and GNU utilities. If you're going to be running
Linux on it, it should work fine, but there are probably cheaper options
out there that would work as well or better. The NUC machines mentioned can
be good. I've also had good luck with the Zotac Z-Box line, as well as
custom building something based around a mini-itx board. It will depend a
bit on exactly what your needs are.

QH