[lug] photo sharing, socializing...

William D. Knoche bill.knoche at gmail.com
Thu May 1 12:28:39 MDT 2014

Davide,

Thanks. Opinion is what I am seeking and yours are highly regarded and
your points well made and well taken,
In general I like Google and have a lot of friends there include Eric
Schmidt who I knew at Sun.
And a lot of their stuff is really good and good for the industry and
good for the consumers as well. In general I have trusted them.
Never the less, I liken it to the old Soviet era moniker, "trust, but
verify" (and carry a really big stick).

I am and have always been concerned that Google is publicly traded and
subject to the selfish interest of the board of directors whose primary
interest is to make money - more is better. They will allow the more
responsible folks to have their way as long as they are making money and
I suspect at some point they no longer will and Eric and others will go
away and power given to those with more aggressive profit motives.

For this reason I was not considering Google+/Picassaweb too seriously.
Reading the fine print for other services such as Facebook make we want
to not ever post an image that I own the copyright to. Google+ is much
better in many respects but again, I am concerns about what they could do.
Becoming too dependent on any of these could have dramatic and
disastrous consequences should they decide to become "more evil" =~ more
profit motivated

For this reason I was thinking I might be better off with Smugmug and
paying for the service. I still want the hear what folks think about
them and others.
If I can find a reasonable way to do it myself without an enormous
effort that is a great option as well. I don't know what the best of
breed would be for open source components and so seek the good counsel
of those far more knowledgeable.

--bill