[lug] MTA poor reputation issue

Chip Atkinson chip at pupman.com
Fri Jun 20 14:31:42 MDT 2014

Hi everyone,

Recently I moved a server to a cloud provider to reduce electricity usage
and noise at home.  I still have my comcast static IP and could keep that
if necessary.  I'd like to move most everything to the cloud but at a
minimum want to turn off the server.

My latest problem is that when I try to email some people
from it, I get errors like this:

(host as-av.iinet.net.au[203.0.178.180] refused to talk to me:
554-icp-osb-irony-in8.iinet.net.au 554 Your access to this mail system
from 167.88.120.115 has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor
reputation. If y
ou believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended
recipient via alternate means.)

If I telnet to port 25, I'm just disconnected with that message, so it's
not a configuration issue.

Anyone have any suggestions around this?

thanks in advance.

Chip