[lug] RAID Controller Recommendations

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Sep 19 11:30:15 MDT 2014

On 09/19/2014 10:15 AM, Matt James wrote:

> FWIW - I've had extremely bad luck with CentOS /. RHEL and the
> on-board Intel /fake/ RAID.  In one particular case, software said
> RAID was A-OK, but when I removed a drive from a mirror set (testing
> on the bench stuff) the machine failed to boot.  Upon further
> investigation - the /mirrored/ drive was completely blank.  YMMV

Intel's RAID BIOS only supports booting and DOS. Once in Windows it
requires an installed driver. In Linux, you need to use MD or LVM. I
recall there's a program to read the RAID BIOS settings and replicate
them into MD on boot.

That's why the other drive was blank. Once Linux takes over Intel RAID
is just a bunch of drives.