[lug] Linux Laptop

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Oct 31 09:10:26 MDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-10-16 at 14:18 -0400, Stephen Kraus wrote:
> http://blog.cnicodeme.com/install-fedora-20-on-a-hp-butterfly-chromebook

Just a follow up on my attempt to update firmware on my Acer C7
chromebook.  I had originally thought you had to do a physical mod to
the hardware.  Turns out its much easier than that: Just close the
circuit on a jumper.

I followed the information in the links below and was able to natively
install Fedora 20 on my Acer C710 Chromebook.  It was pretty easy. Kudos
to John Lewis for the updated coreboot/SeaBIOS.

2. Stick a piece of aluminum foil in the jumper enabling firmware
changes
3. Run John Lewis' shell script to load an updated firmware set.
4. Boot into a USB install stick.

Really easy.  Only problem was the first attempt with the foil seemed to
have bricked the system.  Turns out the aluminum was touching the metal
innards of the cover so I flipped the cover around while I did the
firmware update and it worked fine.  Now I have a usable Chromebook.

Firmware updating:
https://johnlewis.ie/custom-chromebook-firmware/rom-download/
https://johnlewis.ie/mediawiki/index.php?title=Flashing_stock_firmware_to_a_coreboot_build_on_Acer_C7_%28C710%29
http://theboredmanlife.blogspot.com/2013/12/firmwarebios-flash-for-acer-chromebook.html