[lug] Adding kernel driver to a raspberry pi.

Jonathan Eidsness jonathan.eidsness at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 12:52:59 MST 2016

Hi,

I'm trying to compile and install a new device driver on a raspberry pi and
I'm having some issues at the end of the process.

My build process starts from a fresh install of raspbian jessie lite and
from there I:
1. Install gcc-4.8 to match the kernel's compiler
2. Use rpi-source (https://github.com/notro/rpi-source) to get the source
that isn't included in raspbian,
3. Apply a patch for the driver to the source
4. Copy the config from the kernel
5. Run make modules_prepare and enable the driver as a module in the config
6. Compile and install the driver

All that seems to work out just fine, but when I try to enable the driver
with modprobe I get "modprobe: FATAL: Module ad5592r not found.".

One thing I've noticed is that the .ko objects are installed
into /lib/modules/4.1.13+-v7/extra which differs from what "uname -r"
returns (4.1.13-v7+). Moving the objects over to the directory matching the
running kernel doesn't fix the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on getting this working?

Jonathan Eidsness
303-725-0215