[lug] Processor assignment

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Fri Apr 1 07:24:25 MDT 2016

Hi Davide,

> I can answer that question. **NO**. We don't offer anything like that
> and if we wanted to (we don't),

It could be behind your firewall. While we are providing a public server,
our users can (and do) install it themselves.

The problem is about how you manage queues when people can easily start
jobs. This could be via Jupyter, for example. I know that NERSC is running
a Jupyter server on a cluster. What happens when the server gets overloaded
with compute intensive jobs? Nobody seems to be solving that problem afaict.

> we are constantly under attack, as far as I know (I'm not in the
> security team, so take this with a grain of salt).

Everybody is constantly under attack. :)

> (*) at the moment, the access to our infrastructure is possible only
> via ssh using both a mnemonic password and an OTP.

I bet people tunnel X11 back to their workstations, which is insecure. Web
browsers are far more secure rendering engines, because they built on
modern protocols, don't require a reverse tunnel, and receive far more
scrutiny than X11, which was designed in the days when there was no
security issues/protocols.

> For me, it has simply always "just worked", so I did not pay attention
> to it. This will probably change on the next machine, since the group
> I work in will be tasked to install also the open source MPI
> implementations (which so far we did not support).

MPI does work, but it's by brute force. It's another protocol that was
built in the 80s before the bad guys were out in force.

Rob