[lug] sudoers Failure Q

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Mon Jul 10 16:40:19 MDT 2017

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 22:18:55 +0000 (UTC)
stimits at comcast.net wrote:

> It looks like a flaw in usermod --groups.

I'm not a fan of how usermod works, though I sort of understand why it's
the way it is.

"group-"
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/25569/what-is-the-purpose-of-etc-group
 - it's a backup file.

Been a long while since I had to know what the shadow files are for.
(Didn't come up in the cabinet shop business.) But I doubt your problem
is related specifically to either the "-" files or the shadow files.

> I think you found something...wheel is not listed. However, my user is
> in "/etc/group", and I've not manually edited anything.

So, looking for issues with the "-" and shadow files won't help you. Just
add the wheel group (if it isn't there), and add yourself to it. Be sure
to use the form:
  usermod username -a -G wheel
to do that.