[lug] Pushing Back Against Gnome CSD/Headerbars

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Jan 28 12:56:27 MST 2018

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 14:43:35 -0500
Internet Privacy Advocate wrote:

> I haven't used a Mac for a long time, but I think that's the way it
> used to work.  The system taskbar changed with the specific
> application.

No, that's a different feature. I think Gnome/Unity? implemented this,
where the system task bar takes on the application menus. But this new
thing is having application stuff intrude into the app window title area.
And, maybe having the app manage window features, rather than the window
manager.

>It is more space efficient

I don't grok this as anything to consider. Even with my old Nec MultiSync
90GX monitor, I have plenty of screen real estate. I have zero concerns
with needing more space in my app windows.

> As an aside, the feature I
> most desire presently is high quality TTS within Libreoffice, but I
> don't seem to make much headway raising my concern about that.

I strongly suspect that my initial thought on what "TTS" means is
considerably different than what you're referring to. It's an old old gif
image, featuring a wizard casting a transmutation spell. :)