[lug] Thoughts on upgrading to CentOS 7

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Mar 28 10:13:14 MDT 2018

On 03/28/2018 06:43 AM, Alan Robertson wrote:
> People like to say that technology wins in open source. This appears to be a counterexample.

Well, I'm not going to be quiet and let others think there's some kind
of consensus against systemd.

Here's my opinion. Systemd is better in every single way than the
ridiculous pile of hacked together "SysV" init scripts.

I had to write some of those for RH AS 3, RHEL 4 and Debian.
No. Just say no.

The "solutions" to the SysV problems, like runit just pile on more
complexity to a broken system. Systemd just fixes it.

And daemons that do stupid things, worked around with shell script hacks
like tail grepping the log file? They got fixed with real startup
notification.

Instead of applying another coat of paint to the rotten wood it's been
ripped out and replaced correctly.

So technology finally did win out.
--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts