[lug] Debugging a startup problem

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Jul 8 20:09:47 MDT 2018

On Sun, 8 Jul 2018 19:42:09 -0600
Lee Woodworth wrote:

> If you don't already have some kind of verbose logging enabled
> for init scripts during boot, I would turn that on.
>
> Maybe this would help (search terms linux upstart verbose logging):
>      https://serverfault.com/questions/601806/upstart-script-not-logging-to-file

Hey, that looks like fun. Just add --debug to the end of the kernel
command line at boot. grep will be my friend.

> I had a machine hang during boot because it was mounting a
> non-existent nfs export. Ntp can also cause hangs (e.g. ntp-client),
> dns lookup failures can also cause issues.

No NFS here, and ntp (I use chrony, actually) would come later, after the
network starts.

> You probably know this already, but in my experience power supplies
> and their fans are the root causes of many system failures. So
> if you start vacuuming, the power supply and case fans may also
> benefit from attention.

Been there, done that. Too many times. Wore out the t-shirt. I don't
suspect it in this case. It'll be Wednesday at the soonest before I try
to tackle this.