[lug] Debugging a startup problem

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Mon Jul 9 10:06:13 MDT 2018

FYI, I always tell people with USB issues to debug to start with an externally powered HUB.  +1 @Michael Hammel.

Beyond that, I have seen issues on new install attempts of Ubuntu on a system using older style BIOS partitions. What I found to happen was that during install things went well, but during reboot for whatever reason it was suddenly assumed it was UEFI (I can't confirm that, but all the evidence points at mis-detection of not being UEFI), and there was no UEFI partition. The firmware and drivers didn't work except under the boot DVD (and it isn't a case of setting the BIOS for legacy only or mixed...it is guaranteed the USB drivers will want UEFI no matter what the current motherboard configuration is). For this reason I cannot install an alternate Ubuntu boot on this system unless I delete my Windows 7 (and the installer of my Windows 7 won't work on UEFI partitions, it is too old...I sure don't want to go to Windows 10 and reinstall all of my other o/s's).

If it suddenly failed after a firmware update or anything UEFI on Ubuntu, and if the m/b is set to anything other than purely UEFI (and partition style anything other than UEFI), I could see the possibility of the firmware change being the cause. This would of course happen immediately upon boot and wouldn't apply if you were using the system for a while and suddenly it died like that.

On the other hand, Windows 7 and Fedora have never had a single issue with the same exact systems when doing multi-boot. CentOS also works well. I've dabbled in other flavors of Linux, and only Ubuntu has this issue.

----- Original Message -----From: Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>To: lug at lug.boulder.co.usSent: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 15:22:27 -0000 (UTC)Subject: Re: [lug] Debugging a startup problem

USB under-power seems to be a disease. RPi's have had it for awhile -I have a hard time running a Wifi Dongle + USB stick from which I sharevideos at the same time unless I use a powered USB hub, even with 3Awall warts. My desktop has always had problems with USB portsdropping out. I just lived with it since I didn't (until recently whenI started programming ESP8266s) use USB much.

I need to get a new Mobo for my desktop eventually too. I tend tosqueeze the last life out of mine, but it's gotta be >10 years old. MyPlex server (and the system that provides the USB connected drives forit) are even older. Probably time.

On Mon, 2018-07-09 at 08:19 -0600, Jed S. Baer wrote:> On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 07:47:25 -0600> Jed S. Baer wrote:> > > Well, just informational, as to root cause, this is in logwatch> > this AM:> > > > usb 1-10.2: device descriptor read/64, error -110 ...: 1 Time(s)> > A little more background, which I'm now remembering.> > I have 2 of this model MOBO - Gigabyte H110M-S2H. The first crapped> out> with -- yes -- bad USB 2 and maybe degraded further; I don't recall.> I> took it back to MicroCenter, but it was already beyond in-store basic> return time. So I bought another, and RMA'd the 1st to Gigabyte. They> returned it, repair or replace, I don't know, because they included> no> information as to what was broken or how they fixed it. I have that> one> sitting on the shelf.> > MOBO #2, I bought the extended warranty. So, I can take it back to> Microcenter. Yay me!> > But now I want to web search that model for chronic USB failure, when> I> get home tonight.> _______________________________________________> Web Page: http://lug.boulder.co.us> Mailing List: http://lists.lug.boulder.co.us/mailman/listinfo/lug> Join us on IRC: irc.hackingsociety.org port=6667> channel=#hackingsociety_______________________________________________Web Page: http://lug.boulder.co.usMailing List: http://lists.lug.boulder.co.us/mailman/listinfo/lugJoin us on IRC: irc.hackingsociety.org port=6667 channel=#hackingsociety