[lug] Debugging a startup problem

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Tue Jul 31 13:08:26 MDT 2018

On 07/30/2018 10:41 PM, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> r8169 0000:01:00.0 eth2: renamed from eth0
> systemd-udevd[586]: renamed network interface eth0 to eth2

Doesn't look like the new udev renaming to me. ethX are the
kernel-style if names. I see udev causing:
    tg3 0000:3f:00.0 enp63s0: renamed from eth0
Maybe you have udev rules causing the renaming. IIRC,
the kernel command line parameter:
    net.ifrenames=0
will turn off udev renaming.

> I'm reminded of how, some years ago, when network-manager first landed in
> an install I did, it was a simple thing to just remove it, and start the
> network the SysV way, and I did that. These days, it's so wrapped up in
> dependencies that apt complains about a lot of stuff if I try to get rid
> of it. Hey, let's look in /etc/init.d/networking !!!

And a bonus, all the added complexity will make things more resilient,
more secure and easier to fix :)

Spaghetti dependencies in the distro, ouch! That's a reason I am staying
with gentoo. You don't have to use network manager or systemd when they
aren't needed and you can remove package dependencies on things like
avahi, systemd, ldap, policykit, ....

BTW gentoo sent notices that ifconfig was not preferred for network setup.
I think due to upstream having a hard time keeping up with kernel changes.
They recommend the ip command (from iproute2).