[lug] Email Services

David L. Willson dlwillson at thegeek.nu
Thu Oct 22 18:43:39 MDT 2020

> Is there a "short answer" as to what Zimbra is and how it's different than running sendmail or postfix?

I'm sure there are many. Here's mine:

Zimbra is an open-source collaboration suite that is pleasant and powerful and beats the snot out of MS Exchange and G Suite.

It can be got for free, or with a support contract and ActiveSync.

ZCS combines SpamAssassin, LDAP, some MTA (postfix, I think), and a bunch of other FLOSS and a bunch of special sauce and glue to provide:

- email
- calendar
- directory
- briefcase (files)
- contacts (including auto-add)
- an elegant web client
- internal and external sharing of everything above