[lug] Wiki server suggestions for small organization

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Thu Mar 11 16:28:37 MST 2021

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 3:45 PM Davide Del Vento wrote:
> How about github's wiki? I think it covers all the requirements you make.
The only point which I don't know is about the wiki being public facing or
private. I know github offers private repositories, and I assume private
wikis too -- but I suspect there are some strings attached and I have not
explored them.

You do not get wikis for private repos for free plans. They do offer
nonprofit plans: https://github.com/nonprofit

> Another option to consider, if as it sounds most of the information you
want to store is lists, rather than narrative, is Trello.

FYI, Kanban style notes are available via GitHub Projects.

> Last, but not least, Google docs/drive/spreadsheet. Pretty much
everything you would like to have, besides index pages (because they trust
so much their search function that there is no index and if you are not
very well organized you end up like in a messed up pile of paper in a file
cabinet).

We are about to switch one of my companies over to Workspace Docs. I'm a
search-not-sort kind-a-person. We have been using ownCloud, and it's a big
pile of files in lots and lots of directories, and ownCloud search sucks so
it's almost impossible to find anything. My experience with Google is that
you can find everything with enough words. However, I also find that it's
harder for some people than others.

Some people like RedMine, because it is open source. I haven't used
easyreadmine.com, but I think it's related to redmine.org so you'd be
supporting open source for $80/month.

Cheers,
Rob