[lug] Rectal/Cranial Inversion Issues at RedHat (and LILO)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Sep 15 10:08:22 MDT 1999

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 09:54:50AM -0600, Chris M wrote:
>[root at host]# /sbin/lilo
>Warning: device 0x0809 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit
>geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (2133 > 1023)

Your root partition is not at the front of the disc.  These days,
you nearly always want to have the first partition on the drive be
a 50MB /boot partition to ensure that the kernels reside under
1024 cyls.  As your root partition is sda9, I presume it's
towards the end of the disc.  Since it's only 600MB, you can
probably re-partition so that it's sda1 and it'll be happy.

This is particularly a problem with RAID devices which tend to not do
cylindar remapping to try to fit as much space in the cylindars
as possible:

	Disk /dev/sda: 64 heads, 32 sectors, 17378 cylinders

With remapping, the largest disc that you can have in under
1024 cyls is 8GB though, so going for a /boot is a good idea
these days.

Sean
--
 The First Rule of Program Optimization: Don't do it.
 The Second Rule of Program Optimization (For experts only): Don't do it yet.