[lug] Emacs, gnuserv and (find-tag) problems

Ed Young eyoung at linus.cudenver.edu
Wed Sep 15 14:27:59 MDT 1999

Dear Lug Emacs users,

Here's an emacs question for anyone
Once I got gnuserv and gnuclient to allow me to open a file into emacs
from another program (cygnus' codefusion) I've run into two problems:
  1. It invokes a new emacs session (it should open the file in a
running emacs session)
   2. etags no longer works. When I run M-. (find-tag) I get:
error in process filter: Symbol's value as variable is void:<function
name>

The weird thing is that find-tag works in the emacs session which I
invoked from the command line.

I've installed gnuserv and gnuclient in /usr/bin/ and the lines
(load "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnuserv")
     (server-start)
in my .emacs file. .emacs returns "starting server" so all seems ok.

I have similar problems when trying the same thing in xemacs.

I posted to gnu.emacs.help with no replies.

Thanx in advance,

Ed

--
Ed Young