[lug] Emacs, gnuserv and (find-tag) problems

Tom Tromey tromey at cygnus.com
Wed Sep 15 14:35:53 MDT 1999

Ed>   1. It invokes a new emacs session (it should open the file in a
Ed> running emacs session)

Did you run M-x server-start (I think) in your existing session?

Ed>    2. etags no longer works. When I run M-. (find-tag) I get:
Ed> error in process filter: Symbol's value as variable is
Ed> void:<function name>

This might be a bug in the Code Fusion code.  In buffers loaded from
Source Navigator, the "M-." binding is overridden to query S-N rather
than use the standard tags files.  You can verify this by typing "C-h
c M-." -- it *shouldn't* print "find-tag".

Ed> I've installed gnuserv and gnuclient in /usr/bin/ and the lines
Ed> (load "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnuserv")
Ed>      (server-start)
Ed> in my .emacs file. .emacs returns "starting server" so all seems ok.

I guess you did do it then.  Hmm.  Does it work when you run gnuclient
by hand?  If so then I would suspect another bug in the S-N/Emacs
integration.

Ed> I posted to gnu.emacs.help with no replies.

You really should report Code Fusion and Source Navigator bugs to
Cygnus.  I don't work on S-N any more, and my answers are just stabs
in the dark.  The real S-N hackers might have real answers.

Tom