[lug] Latex and SGML

David Lovering lovering at boulder.nist.gov
Wed Sep 15 15:58:39 MDT 1999

Dear All:

    Regarding the "LaTeX" thread --

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayde Allen <wallen at boulder.nist.gov>
To: List: Boulder Linux User's Group <lug at lists.lug.boulder.co.us>
Date: Wednesday, September 15, 1999 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [lug] Latex and SGML

>On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, David Emile Lamy wrote:
>
>> I feel this would be a very useful talk as this is the type document
>> processing that comes with every Linux distribution.
>
>Very true
>
>> The documents marked up by TeX are beautiful, but there is a learning
>> curve.  However, I feel this is one application that we should stress as
>> one of the strong points for using Linux.
>
>Yes, and I resisted getting into LaTeX until relatively recently myself.
>However, I found it wasn't nearly as scary as it looked.  My recent
>papers are all written using LaTeX.
>
>> I have a very basic facility with Tex.  I would be happy to share a talk
>> with someone about the TeX family of applications.
>
>We might be able to collaborate on something here.  However, if there is
>someone on the list who is a real "guru" with this stuff I'm hoping they
>might step up to the plate.
>
>Let's see, Dave Lovering has been using LaTeX/TeX for many more years than
>I.  Oh Dave ... ?
>
>I'd also like to learn more about SGML.  Any SGML people out there?
>
>- Wayde
>  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)

    Sure, I could take a step up to bat.  If somebody has a "portable" Linux
platform
with a fairly complete implementation of LaTeX/TeX I could check out, I'd be
glad to
prepare a presentation on how to use it, what the various steps are in
generating
a document, what it's major advantages/disadvantages are, etc.  [My PowerPC
has
a full-blown version of the latest TeX stuff on it, but it is a strange
flavor of Linux, and
is hardly portable].

    -- Dave Lovering
    -- 303-497-5662