[lug] Small printer problem

Harris, James A (Jim) HarriJA at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Tue Sep 28 13:20:12 MDT 1999

Hiya -

I've got a weird problem with my printer that's stumping me.  I've got an
HP722C DeskJet printer hooked up to my Linux server.  I'm only having to use
it from my Win98 box through Samba, so I don't have any filters installed on
the Linux side for the printer.  I've setup a totally generic printer queue
in printcap that just dumps the raw data out to /dev/lp0.  What's happening
is this:  I'll send a job and the printer will print everything but the last
two lines, then it just hangs.  It's almost like the printer is waiting for
some sort of EOF or CR/LF.  At first I thought it was the Samba config, but
it's not.  If I tell Windoze to print to file and then bring that file over
to the Linux side and lpr it, the problem persists.  I've even tried setting
the LPT port to SPP from ECP just in case that was the problem -- but it did
not help.  What's really weird is this:  the very very first file I send
after a reboot will print fine, but everyone after that hangs in this way.
To make that even weirder, if I remove the lpt modules and kill all of the
print daemons, it still won't work -- it seems like only a hard reboot does
it.

This is probably really simple, but I'm stumped...
As usual, any ideas are extremely appreciated!
Thanks!

James Harris
EDS PC Deskside Systems Administrator / StorageTek Account
Phone:  303.661.8763  /  Fax:  303.661.4905
Email:  HarriJA at louisville.stortek.com