[lug] Using consoles

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Sep 29 10:08:18 MDT 1999

>>>>> "David" == David Outteridge <dajo at privatei.com> writes:

David> Yesterday, whilst logged in as myself, I wanted to log in as
David> root.  Normally I would use su, but this time I did not know
David> how to start up all the stuff I needed so I wanted to log in
David> from the login prompt.  I used C-A-f2 and got a login prompt.
David> The login was ok.  But when I tried to start X it did not work
David> for the reason that display 0 was already in use.  Can anyone
David> explain this a little, please?  How do I do it?  Can it be
David> done?

sure. You can run as many X sessions as you have memory for. ;)

When you start the second X session for root, make sure you specify a
new display...ie:

xinit -- :1
or
startx -- :1

The -- tells it to pass the next stuff off to the X server, in this
case a request that it use display ":1" instead of the default ":0"
which is already in use by your other session.

It should then appear, and will likely be on alt-f8 (the console after
your other X session at any rate.

David> dajo

kevin
--