[lug] sudo better than su (was: Using consoles)

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Wed Sep 29 10:35:58 MDT 1999

At 09:53 AM 9/29/99 -0600, PC Drew wrote:
>Secondly...why aren't you using sudo?  It's mo' betta.

I'm a newbie so maybe I missed something, but why do you say this? In my
newbie-ness I seem to spend a lot of time logged in as root, mostly
cleaning up stuff that I hosed up doing something else, or tweaking my
firewalling scripts, or installing software, etc. I usually use "su"
because I'm actually telnetting in across my LAN (my Linux box is in a
closet) and because prefixing every command with "sudo" seems a pain. I use
sudo when it's one or two commands.

-Mike

Michael Deck
Cleanroom Software Engineering, Inc.