[lug] sudo better than su (was: Using consoles)

PC Drew Philip.Drew at colorado.edu
Wed Sep 29 13:40:55 MDT 1999

Yet another answer to the same question...

I have had no luck being able to find the *nix version of ssh on
http://www.ssh.fi.  The school that the author went to when he wrote ssh,
though, has all the files (ftp://ftp.cs.hut.fi/pub/ssh/).

It is similar to telnet in that you can use it to remotely log into
machines.  However, it does a good job of encrypting the data that get's
sent across the wire.  If you've ever run a packet sniffer while telneting
to a box, you'd know what I mean.  If you haven't done this, do it and
you'll never use telnet again.

Ssh also comes with a little known, but very useful secure "ftp" program
called scp.  This is a command-line based ftp program that also encrypts
the data.

Various encryption algorithms can be used with ssh (3DES, RSA, IDEA, etc)
as well as various authentication methods (RSA, password, etc).

And finally...ssh and sudo are the two packages that I'd say are a MUST to
install.

Good luck,
PC Drew

PS - read up on the differences between ssh2 and ssh1, and if you install
them both, make SURE to read the SSH2.QUICKSTART file located in the ssh2
package to make them work together.

"There are only 3 numbers in existence: 0, 1, and as many as you need."
	-Unknown