[lug] sudo better than su (was: Using consoles)

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Wed Sep 29 11:10:44 MDT 1999

Thus spake Michael Deck:

> At 09:53 AM 9/29/99 -0600, PC Drew wrote:
> >Secondly...why aren't you using sudo?  It's mo' betta.
>
> I'm a newbie so maybe I missed something, but why do you say this? In my
> newbie-ness I seem to spend a lot of time logged in as root, mostly
> cleaning up stuff that I hosed up doing something else, or tweaking my
> firewalling scripts, or installing software, etc. I usually use "su"
> because I'm actually telnetting in across my LAN (my Linux box is in a
> closet) and because prefixing every command with "sudo" seems a pain. I use
> sudo when it's one or two commands.

 sudo is configurable to the point that can drive a micro-manager to
ecstacy. It can also be a very simple config. It does log commands executed
which is nice, especially on systems where more than one person have/need
root access.

 sudo is most useful on systems that are already setup and are just being
adminned. There's a time and place for su and sudo each. sudo shouldn't be
considered a global replacemnt for su as it isn't always needed.

--
   Mike Loseke    | Disk space running short.
 mike at verinet.com | Deleting emacs...