[lug] date

Alan Robertson alanr at bell-labs.com
Sat Oct 2 08:55:19 MDT 1999

Calvin Dodge wrote:

> llornkcor wrote:
> >
> > I just noticed, that upon boot, that the system time gets reset 1/2 hour
> > earlier than it really is, so 8:00 becomes 7:30. As I am unfamiliar with
> > the boot-up process, and all the start-up stuff, any help would be appreciated.
> > I found the clock function in rc.sysinit, but am unsure of how to remedy
>
> Your BIOS clock is getting out of sync with the real time.
>
> I take care of this thusly:
>
> 1) use xntpd (or ntpdate with a dial-up connection) to be sure the system clock
> is accurate.
> 2) put an executable script in /etc/cron.daily which contains the line
> "/usr/sbin/setclock" (this sets the BIOS clock to the system time)

I think that "setclock" may be a Red Hat thing (author Erik Troan). Great if
you're running Red Hat, less useful if you're not.

If you're not running Red Hat, then you might try hwclock.  It's a little more
complicated to use.

You can also use it to read your BIOS clock.

There are a couple of time zones that you could have your system set to that are
a half hour off, but I don't think there are any that are near Mountain Time.

Try and use /usr/sbin/hwclock to see what your BIOS clock says.  Also, check
your time zone...

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at bell-labs.com