[lug] Mouse problems in X

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Oct 3 15:10:35 MDT 1999

>>>>> "John" == John Edwards <harkerii at sprintmail.com> writes:

John> 	I've been trying to upgrade to the newest distro's of Linux,
John> 	Redhat and
John> Mandrake versions 6.  Everything seems to work ok, except my
John> mouse X.
John> 	I'm using a Microsoft Intellimouse.  When I start up X, the
John> 	first movement
John> of the mouse sends it to an upper right-hand corner, usually
John> opening up drop-down menus along the way.
John> 	I've tried setting it to the Intellimouse, Microsoft
John> 	Compatible and PS/2
John> mouse settings in xf86config (which I generally find best for
John> setting up X) and each does the same.

Is it serial or PS/2?

If it's serial, you might want to try:

IntelliMouse

and if it's PS/2, you might want:

IMPS/2

Just set that directly in /etc/X11/XF86Config in the mouse
section. One of those should work.

John> 	The mouse works fine in console mode.  I've checked at
John> 	RedHat's site, but found nothing indicating a fix for this.
John> 	Has anyone else experienced this?  Has anyone fixed it?  Just
John> 	a note, I can get Caldera to run, but I haven't been able to
John> 	figure
John> out how to re-compile the kernel from Caldera (make menuconfig,
John> etc doesn't seem to exist) and this is my next step in learning
John> Linux (I've recompiled one working kernel.  Now, to trim it down
John> some more...)

sounds like caldera didn't install the kernel source...see if there is
a kernel source package you can install.

John> 	Thanks in advance.

kevin
--
Kevin Fenzi