[lug] Question about KRUD

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Fri Oct 8 16:32:36 MDT 1999

On 8 Oct 1999, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> humm...the long login problem might be a DNS issue. Is your hostname,
> etc in /etc/hosts?

Yes

> how about the /etc/resolv.conf? if you are not on a
> net does the resolv.conf have just the local (caching) nameserver
> (127.0.0.1)?

Oops, forgot to update resolve.conf.  After checking I discovered that
the file didn't even exist so I created it.  That doesn't seem to have
fixed the problem though.

> Logout button not working is a puzzler...can you look at your
> .xsession-errors file and see if it's logging anything that will
> point in the right direction?

Yes - It seems that there are some problems with the creation of some
network sockets that are probably causing the pause during startup.  The
opening lines in the .xsession-errors file read:

--------------------------- Start -----------------------------------------

_IceTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: mkdir(/tmp/.ICE-unix) failed, errno = 17
_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners:  failed to create listener for local
_IceTransSocketINETConnect:  Can't connect: errno = 101
gnome-smproxy: unable to connect to session manager
_IceTransSocketINETConnect:  Can't connect: errno = 101

GnomeUI-WARNING **: while connecting to session manager:
Could not open network socket.
_IceTransSocketINETConnect:  Can't connect: errno = 101

----------------------------- End -----------------------------------------

This repeats for a while with something about not being able to run a
screensaver added in several lines down.  I presume that the network
socket error is the problem with startup, but am not certain how to fix
it.

Then, when I hit the logout button I get:

** CRITICAL **: file gsm-protocol.c: line 600 (gsm_protocol_new):
assertion `GNOME_CLIENT_CONNECTED (gnome_client)' failed.

** WARNING **: Could not connect to gnome-session.
_IceTransSocketINETConnect:  Can't connect: errno = 101

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)