[lug] Why Not Upgrade? (Was: Forwarding or routing question)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Oct 12 23:20:14 MDT 1999

On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 08:19:14PM -0600, Chip Atkinson wrote:
>One should weigh the cost vs. benefits of upgrading.  On the machine that
>I have running RH5.0 there is little cost to upgrading.  It's pretty much

Yeah, sometimes it's easy, sometimes not.  I usually do strictly re-loads
on "important" machines because it cleans out any cruft you have laying
around, and you're sure to have as "clean" an install as possible (no
incompatible libraries laying around, etc).  It also gives you a chance
to re-organize your partitions if you need to.

Right now my main machine is running RedHat 5.2, and I've considered upgrading
but don't see much benefit in doing so.  I've built a whole ton of packages
on this system, so I'm currently running a recent GTK.  About the only
app that I haven't been able to get to compile properly has been XMMS.
Everything else I want has been installed as an RPM.

Doing an upgrade wouldn't really get me a whole lot, because I have recent
versions of various packages.  But, it *WOULD* cost me a lot -- probably
a full day.  It wouldn't be *THAT* hard because I'd mostly just have to
do a "rpm --rebuild" of all packages in /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS and install
them.  However, that's *ONLY* if things go smoothly.  :-)

I'd still have to get databases re-loaded, networking and mail configured,
fix X so I like it again, etc...  Sorry, I'm not a GNOME fan, so I'd have
to dike that out.

Sean
--
 Use more honey!  Find out what she knows.
                 -- _Buckaroo_Banzai_