[lug] System.map

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Mon Nov 8 16:02:49 MST 1999

Rob Riggs wrote:

> "Howell, Jeff S" wrote:
> >
> > So how does one fix this?
>
> Ah, right. A new System.map is generated in the top-level of the
> kernel source tree every time a new kernel is made. This should
> be copied into the /boot directory.

A work mate told me last week that this was recommended practice.
I've never done it.

The klogd man page says that if a symbol file is not explicitly
specified the following filenames will be tried:

       /boot/System.map
       /System.map
       /usr/src/linux/System.map

It goes on to say that if an experimental or test kernel is
compiled with the sources in the 'standard' location of
/usr/src/linux the map in /boot/System.map will be bypassed
in favor of the map in /usr/src/linux/System.map.

So, is the above info no longer accurate or are there other
dependencies on the System.map file?  If I'm reading the the
above paragraph correctly then there should be no need to copy
System.map from /usr/src/linux to /boot.  Yes/no?

Lynn Danielson