[lug] transfer rates on 10mb ethernet

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Nov 9 13:31:24 MST 1999

I noticed something today.  I was ftp'ing an 8mb file from one box at home
to another using 10Mb/sec ethernet (thinnet, ie the coaxial cable stuff).  On
one end I had an old ISA WD8003 card, on the other a newer 10/100 PCMCIA
card.  Ftp reported:

8240199 bytes received in 25.2 secs (3.2e+02 Kbytes/sec)

So what happend to 10Mb/sec?  Is the bottleneck in the cards, in the
drivers for the cards, or in the IP stack?  Theres only 2 boxes (a third
isn't powered up right now) on the line, and the only connection between
them was a telnet connection.

Oh, both boxes are running RH5.2, stock kernels.

Its not a big deal.  I was just curious.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |  I love California. I practically grew up in