[lug] transfer rates on 10mb ethernet

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Nov 9 17:45:53 MST 1999

Thus spoke Jeffrey B. Siegal
> Check the network errors (on both systems) reported by netstat.  Maybe you
> have a bad cable or hub, or you have somehow violated the ethernet wiring
> rules (not so hard to do) causing frequent bad packets or collisions.

No transmit or receive errors reported on either end.  The ethernet cable
may have had problems - I've run enough thinnet to know that you can't
leave it unterminated for too long.  But I really don't know if thats the
problem or not.  I have had periods of perhaps 30 seconds with the
t-connector at one end disconnected from the cable, but that hasn't
happened in a while (the setup on my laptop side is a little flimsy and the
t-connector sometimes slips loose from the cable while I'm working).

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |  I'd explain it to you, but your brain would