[lug] VA laptop question

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Nov 10 20:01:05 MST 1999

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 07:16:56PM -0700, Charles Morrison wrote:
>At the moment there is nothing, in fact we are currently using Sony and IBM
>laptops ourselves (with Linux loaded of course :o). There are rumblings of a

I've been very happy with the IBM laptops I've had for running Linux
through.  Though there ALWAYS seem to be issues.  Finding a XC86Config
file for your display/adapter (which is invariably slightly different
than the versions had by the people with the same-named laptop who
contributed files to the Laptop page)...  Getting the appropriate APM
settings...  Figuring out sound...  Getting suspend/resume to work
correctly...  Those are the common ones.

These days also expect problems with PCMCIA floppy and/or CD drives.

If you aren't trying to do anything fancy with APM, and don't mind that
there may be sound issues (or that the built-in modem doesn't work because
it's a win-modem), then most laptops will work fine.

I'm currently lusting after the ThinkPad 570.  :-)

Sean
--
 Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?