[lug] CD-RW issues

socket at peakpeak.com socket at peakpeak.com
Sun Nov 14 10:56:36 MST 1999

Between a busy academic schedule, I've finally had a chance to test my
new CDRW drive this weekend.  It worked pretty well with the first
data disk I tried, but I've had difficulty writing audio and wiping
disks:

$ cdrecord dev=0,1,0 blank=all
Cdrecord release 1.8a31 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '0,1,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 1 lun: 0
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'MITSUMI '
Identifikation : 'CR-4802TE       '
Revision       : '1.4D'
Device seems to be: Philips CDD-522.
Using driver for Philips CDD-522 (philips_cdd522).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
cdrecord: Drive needs to reload the media to return to proper status.
At this point, the drive opens and closes.
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 1 in write mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 1 seconds.
cdrecord: Input/output error. prevent/allow medium removal: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  1E 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 2C 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x2C Qual 0x00 (command sequence error) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s
$

The writing light on the drive remains on, though, for about as long
as it takes to perform the full blank.  I have a suspicion that it
actually worked because of this, but haven't tried another write.

Has anybody had this error at all?  I read a few messages in the
kernel list about this, none of which had any replies of much use, but
some are reporting that it doesn't happen with the 2.0.3x kernels.
I've had it work in 2.2.13 for burning a data disk, but I'm hoping I
can figure out burning music tracks and wiping without too much more
trouble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Riddoch                  socket at peakpeak.com
Will provide pseudo-insightful commentary for food
                   http://www.peakpeak.com/~socket