[lug] Linux FileServer Problems

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Tue Nov 16 08:10:03 MST 1999

Michael Deck wrote:

> /dev/hdc1 and /mnt/cdrive before and after the mount, etc. etc. Is there
> anyone who actually
> * mounts an MSDOS drive at boot time
> * allows non-mounters on that system to write to it

Yes, I do.

Here's the line from my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1               /mnt/c        vfat
noexec,nodev,nosuid,noauto,umask=0 0 0

The "umask=0" is the critical part - if you don't set a default user and group
for the partition, then it's mounted with root as the user and group, and
non-root folks can't modify it.

This DOES work on my system.  YMMV, of course.

Calvin

--
"Hey feller!
I bet you're still living in your parents' cellar

- "It's All About The Pentiums"