[lug] Corel Linux

Ed Young ed.young at inver-exch1.echostar.com
Wed Nov 17 19:29:40 MST 1999

I was a beta tester and ran both beta 1 and 2. I couldn't get the first
one to install and so have no info on, but beta 2 was unbelievably easy
to install. I put it on my CTX laptop. Everything worked with no
additional configuration or tweaking except sound. I can change between
DHCP and static IP on the fly or run PPP. The desktop is nice but not
too different from KDE as far as I can tell, however I'm only running
the beta 2 version so the final product may be tricked out.

I'm not sure what you mean by there's nothing in place to install
packages unless you know Debian. Do you mean there's no RPM utilities or
Slackware utilities? If you don't know the package installation tools,
you can always compile from source. I installed Cygnus Codefusion by
running ./configure and then make install. No problem.

I upgraded some libraries and associated stuff by using the Debian
system and had no problems at all. I upgraded gtk+ and libglib which can
realy break stuff if not done correctly. I didn't have to do anything
funky than update the Debian package database, and then install the new
packages. Exactly two commands. Nice. This was on the beta 2 version.

Too bad you didn't get X running. I was pretty surprised that X came up
immediately on my Laptop which has always been a problem  with every
other distribution I've tried it on. (RH6.0 and Debian 2.1. )

Good luck,

Ed

--
Ed Young