[lug] Corel Linux

Ed Young ed.young at inver-exch1.echostar.com
Thu Nov 18 13:48:31 MST 1999

"Howell, Jeff S" wrote:

> I have a Voodoo3, with both Slackware and RH come with an Xserver for.
> Doesn't look like Corel does.
>
> My complaint with the packagers is I was trying to reinstall specific
> packages from the installation CD. As X was complaining about fonts, I
> though I might try to reinstall them. The installation packages are in
> .deb
> format. Thus if you don't know anything about debian, you're hosed.
> Anyways, I have my Slackware back. I'm in my safe place now :)

Too bad about the Xserver. I'll find out about that one.

I'm still not sure I understand the complaint about the packagers.

The complaint is that since you don't know how to use the tools, you
can't us them, right?

I don't want to sound harsh, but isn't that like saying "That car sucks
because I don't know how to drive it."?

I think there's a new and exciting GUI package manager. I think Corel
calls it "Corel Update", and Corel dang well better have included some
man pages and READMES and maybe even some howto's in the distribution.
The beta does.

"Hmmm...Is RTFM too harsh at this point...?" He thought out loud.

Of course, if Corel doesn't include any man pages or other documentation
it's weak, but look for docs on update or Corel Update and
man dpkg
man apt-get
man dselect

Of course, now it's too late since you've returned to the dark side ;)
At least you're safe. Trying new things can be scary.

Ed