[lug] Corel Linux

Howell, Jeff S HowelJS at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Fri Nov 19 07:35:26 MST 1999

I'm very good about RTFM. I searched and searched for the tool to do that.
But if you're not sure what you're looking for, it's hard to fined it.
reading your email I now know it's called dpkg. But when I was searching,
hits on .deb or package tool got nothing.

I didn't spend all night on it as I was just taking it for a 'test drive' so
to speak.
A better analogy is I wanted to drive the car, but it was flooded and the
user manual was locked in the trunk instead of being in the glove box.

I'm sure Corel will get it right. I hope so. I'll try it out again when they
have support for my card or I have internet access so I can DL the xserver
and install it manually.

Cheers,
Jeff

======================

Ed Young Wrote:

Too bad about the Xserver. I'll find out about that one.

I'm still not sure I understand the complaint about the packagers.

The complaint is that since you don't know how to use the tools, you
can't us them, right?

I don't want to sound harsh, but isn't that like saying "That car sucks
because I don't know how to drive it."?

I think there's a new and exciting GUI package manager. I think Corel
calls it "Corel Update", and Corel dang well better have included some
man pages and READMES and maybe even some howto's in the distribution.
The beta does.

"Hmmm...Is RTFM too harsh at this point...?" He thought out loud.

Of course, if Corel doesn't include any man pages or other documentation
it's weak, but look for docs on update or Corel Update and
man dpkg
man apt-get
man dselect

Of course, now it's too late since you've returned to the dark side ;)
At least you're safe. Trying new things can be scary.

Ed