[lug] Can someone explain this?

Ralf Mattes rm at ns.aura.de
Thu Nov 18 15:24:37 MST 1999

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Jim Buzbee wrote:

> Centuries ago Nostradamus foresaw of a time when Harris, James A (Jim) would
> write:
> > Hemm, just a shot in the dark but what OS is the Firewall running on? If
> > it's an NT based system, maybe they implemented some sort of firewall rules
> > that uses your NT domain for authentication.  Since you're not logging into
> > the domain on your Linux box, maybe it can't authenticate you?
>
> Yeah, I'm starting to think the same thing, because the firewall is NT as far
> as I can tell. And I don't think that there is any tool within Samba to do a NT
> domain login...

Somehow i dobt this. Anyway, AFAIK Samba can do Domain logins, but again,
i don't think this is NT-related.

> > I've got a network problem that has me a bit stumped...
> >
> > I'm on a Linux box inside a firewall here at my company.  A couple of days
> > ago some sort of change was made in the firewall policy that is causing me
> > problems.  Previously I used my web browser, ftp, telnet, pop3, etc. without
> > any
> > proxies, now I must use proxies within the browser. That I can deal with...

What kind of Proxies? Is the firewall using SOCKS? You might just need
to use 'socksified' clients.

> > The problem is with ftp, pop3 and telnet.  These apps, no longer work.  I'm
> > assuming that the new proxy policies have affected these apps but I'm not
> > sure. A traceroute shows my packets leaving our firewall, but "hanging up"
> > way,
> > way  down the line.

Traceroute through the firewall? I would never allow this ;-) Anyway, what
you see is where your ICMP-packets go--that's not neccessarily the same
as where TCP packets go (this is alsp protocol specific).

Ralf