[lug] Can someone explain this?

Jim Buzbee James.Buzbee at echostar.com
Thu Nov 18 15:32:59 MST 1999

Centuries ago Nostradamus foresaw of a time when Ralf Mattes would write:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Jim Buzbee wrote:
>
> > Centuries ago Nostradamus foresaw of a time when Harris, James A (Jim) would
> > write:
> > > Hemm, just a shot in the dark but what OS is the Firewall running on? If
> > > it's an NT based system, maybe they implemented some sort of firewall rules
> > > that uses your NT domain for authentication.  Since you're not logging into
> > > the domain on your Linux box, maybe it can't authenticate you?
> >
> > Yeah, I'm starting to think the same thing, because the firewall is NT as far
> > as I can tell. And I don't think that there is any tool within Samba to do a NT
> > domain login...
> >

> Somehow i dobt this. Anyway, AFAIK Samba can do Domain logins, but again,
> i don't think this is NT-related.

I'm a bit of a Samba/NT novice, so I guess I'm not even sure what logging into a
NT domain entails.  All I know is that every time I mount a smb share
(smbmount) I need to give my username and password. It would be nice to
somehow be able to do it once, and then mount/unmount at will.

> What kind of Proxies? Is the firewall using SOCKS? You might just need
> to use 'socksified' clients.

I'm not sure what kind of proxy it is.  For netscape's use I just enter the IP
address and port into the manual proxy setup dialog.  Port 80 is used for both
http and ftp.

The good news is that telnet/ftp/pop have all magically started working again.
I didn't change anything that I know of.  There was a period of time when
telnet would work from vmware/windows and not from xterm/linux on the same box.
I curious to know what would cause this behavior, and I'm worried that it will
happen again and I'll have to resort to using windows for a crummy telnet
session :-(

> > > The problem is with ftp, pop3 and telnet.  These apps, no longer work.  I'm
> > > assuming that the new proxy policies have affected these apps but I'm not
> > > sure. A traceroute shows my packets leaving our firewall, but "hanging up"
> > > way,
> > > way  down the line.
>
> Traceroute through the firewall? I would never allow this ;-) Anyway, what
> you see is where your ICMP-packets go--that's not neccessarily the same
> as where TCP packets go (this is alsp protocol specific).

Yeah, you're right.  But you gotta use the tools at hand!

Jim