[lug] Can someone explain this?

Andrew Diederich andrew at NETdelivery.com
Thu Nov 18 15:55:15 MST 1999

> The good news is that telnet/ftp/pop have all magically
> started working again.
> I didn't change anything that I know of.  There was a period
> of time when
> telnet would work from vmware/windows and not from
> xterm/linux on the same box.
> I curious to know what would cause this behavior, and I'm
> worried that it will
> happen again and I'll have to resort to using windows for a
> crummy telnet
> session :-(

[massively snipped and all history lost]

I saw this at work once.  I think it had to do with WINS, actually.
Something strange with the NT DNS really pushing to WINS for resolution, or
the linux box not showing up in the browse lists correctly . . . every time
I moved buildings it wouldn't work for a bit, then it did.  This isn't very
helpful, but since it started working I stopped worrying.

-Andrew
andrew at netdelivery.com