[lug] Linux MOUNTING Xenix hd

Pedersen, Michael J PederMJ at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Tue Nov 30 08:09:49 MST 1999

Well, here's one option which might work:

    mount -t sysv /dev/hdb1 /mnt/point

Since I've never mounted a system V filesystem, I don't know if I've got the
type right (and no linux box to check on).  Check 'man mount' for the type
(or even check the /lib/modules/version/fs directory to see if it's a module
in there).  Aside from that, use the right device (hdb1, etc), and mount
point, to get it going.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Willcox [mailto:acesouth at frii.com]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 1999 11:09 PM
To: LINUX User group
Subject: [lug] Linux MOUNTING Xenix hd

Thanks to all for the help on backing up linux data  to a Zip drive with the
tar coomand. Now I'm faced with yet a new challenge from one of my Customers

who's been running on a Sco-Xenix Os and I need to get his Application Data
transfered over somehow because his backup gave up the ghost last week. He's
in a real bind because his Xenix will go to 1970 for the New year. It seems
I did a two hardrive mounting  procedure once but forgot the exact syntax
and I had a good Linux drive and a corrupted Linux drive that I mounted
successfully and copied the data to the Linux drive somehow. Does anyone
happen to know what mount command would possibly work and if so what command
would I use to transfer his data over if I do get it mounted.
In the Linux kernel buiild I included 'system V' support and I didn't know
what
Xenix ver.2.3.4 would use as a mount 'type'

I did a dual boot with his Xenix drive on the same IDE cable and my Linux
and /proc/partitions showed mine with all my partions as hda? and his as
hdb1 and hdb2. All  with major and minor numbes.

thanks for any help with this matter,

Dave Willcox :-)